* Ancient ‘Bastide’ converted into luxury Guest House
* On the banks of the Canal de Robine: off-shoot of Canal-du-Midi
* 6 guest rooms – pool – gite – grounds
* underfloor heating, air-conditioning, parking, out-houses
* Price: €950,000
No expense has been spared on transforming this old stone-built farm/fortress into a superb Guest House on the banks of the Canal. It can be used as such (sold as a going-concern) or simply as a comfortable family home.
The Canal-du-Midi, a Seventeenth century engineering masterpiece, winds from Toulouse to the Mediterranean near Béziers. It forks at one point in the Minervois and a spur goes south to Narbonne and on to the coast at Port-la-Nouvelle. This canal is known as the Canal Robine, a UNESCO World Heritage site. This property is located near the start of this canal, on its banks.
In what is known as a ‘Bastide’ – a fortified group of buildings in a strategic position – the property is one of just four or five other properties in this hamlet on the Canal. On raised ground, the hamlet is surrounded by vineyards.
The property comprises a large two-storey stone-built building which houses the B&B and owner’s quarters. To the south of this building they have installed a pool which is flanked by a large covered area which houses a gite with two bedrooms, a summer kitchen and other utility rooms. There is a garage/barn on two floors which has yet to be renovated.
The renovation work dates back to 2012 – very recent – and is finished to the highest standard. The entire main building has been gutted and re-constructed. New roof. Underfloor heating (heat pump) on ground floor. Double-glazing and roof insulation. Reversible heat/cool air-conditioning. Paved and tiled floors of the highest quality. 5 state-of-the-art bathrooms.
What’s for sale?
- a Canal-side estate comprising, gardens, car-park, pool, main house and gite/out-houses
- over 350 m² of living space
- first floor: 2 en-suite guest rooms
- first floor: 2 guest suites comprising two bedrooms and a bathroom
- ground floor: lounge, dining room, big fitted kitchen with back kitchen, owner’s quarters
- 12 metre pool
- old barn which houses the ‘gite’ – 2 rooms and kitchen – and a summer kitchen and dining area for guests
- barn used as garage on ground floor: mezzanine floor unused
The local village (on the way to Narbonne) has shops, restaurant and baker.